84 Alford Road
Great Barrington, MA 01230
James Jeffries, Ph.D.
Director of Career Development
Regular Hours: 9a-noon, 1-5p M-F
Win Commons, Library Atrium
Appointment or drop in
Search for events that match your interest.
Learn about potential career paths through intensive, on-the-ground, immersion experience.
Choose Your Own Advising
Interactive, online advice platform to find all and only what you need.
Alumni supporting students and each other through career networking, organized through LinkedIn.
Liberal Arts at Work
Annual speaker addresses the challenges and opportunities for liberal arts in the workforce.
Nationwide Internship Consortium
Collaboration with some of the nation’s best colleges to provide student internship opportunities.
START YOUR CAREER
Career Development helps Simon's Rockers envision and execute plans for their future.
Through full-service advising and programming, students and alumni explore interests, develop skills, discover opportunities, and build relationships for launching their careers. From internships and jobs to graduate or transfer school and creative projects, Career Development supports Simon’s Rock students and alumni in pursuit of their academic, personal, and professional lives.
WHAT GUIDES US
All Simon’s Rock students and alumni prepared to contribute with purpose to the world around them in their careers.
To equip students and alumni with the insights, resources, and skills they need to build careers with clarity and competence.
OCD CORE VALUES
- Inclusion—We exist to help all students and alumni envision and enact their careers.
- Liberal Arts Education—We champion the liberal arts for preparing thinkers who address the biggest challenges of today’s working world.
- Innovation—We adapt and improve at the forefront of our field and help advance the innovative thinking of students and alumni for their careers.
- Collaboration—We pursue relationships with students, alumni, faculty, staff, organizations, and partners of the College based on mutual support and benefit.
- Accountability—We commit ourselves to exceptional service and measurable excellence.
WHAT WE DO
Career Development offers all the services students and alumni need to discover and launch their careers. Our Special Programs move beyond the norm to accelerate the careers of Simon’s Rockers.
PROFESSIONAL TRAINING AND CAREER SUPPORT
Core Support Services
- Application materials support (resumes, cover letters, CVs…)
- Interview preparation, education, and practice
- Career skills and knowledge training, events, resources, and courses
- Curated online and print resources for career development
- Opportunity search, selection, and negotiation counseling
Intensive Career Search
- Individual career search counseling sessions
- Assessments and inventories to assist career decision-making
- Career Experiments to learn about career paths*
- Choose Your Own Advising online, self-guided counseling resource*
Networking and Building Relationships
- Student and alumni networking services, education, and events
- Resume referrals service
- Rocker Office Hours alumni advice program*
Faculty and Academic Engagement
- Class visits and hosting for classes tailored to teacher needs
- Faculty/student dinners and collaborations
- Liberal Arts at Work speaker series*
Internships, Employment, and Recruiting
- Partnerships with the Nationwide Internship Consortium (~7000 internship listings) and other premium resources*
- Organization recruiting and interviews on campus and online
- Continuously updated opportunity posting and promotion
Moderation and Graduate, Professional, or Transfer School Assistance
- Individual school counseling (school identification and preparation)
- School recruiting and graduate fair support
- Moderation advice and support
Fellowships, Scholarships, and Alternative Paths
- Individual fellowships and scholarships counseling, information sessions, and recruiting
- Gap year and special program information and recruiting assistance
Innovation, Invention, Arts and Entrepreneurship
- Individual special projects counseling
- Special project educational sessions and resources